PLEASE DO NOT USE IMAGEUPPER ON THIS SITE ANYMORE, TO MANY BROKEN LINKS AND DELETED IMAGES

Last caps

Add your general chat topics, birthday wishes, etc here.
dodger
Posting God

Re: Last caps

Post by dodger » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:01 pm

That sucks, wicorman. :( Hope you're back up and running soon.
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
wicorman
All time posting legend

Post by wicorman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:52 pm

My computer's up and running again, but still with a few residual problems. I'm off to see my sister in Toronto on Saturday, so probably won't be doing much capping/posting before Christmas
0 x
Please do not repost my caps without crediting them

Bic Basher
All time posting legend

Post by Bic Basher » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:13 pm

wicorman wrote:My computer's up and running again, but still with a few residual problems. I'm off to see my sister in Toronto on Saturday, so probably won't be doing much capping/posting before Christmas
Have a good time in Canada.
0 x
PLEASE SHOW APPRECIATION BY CLICKING THE HEART ICON IF YOU ENJOY THE CAPS I POST

wicorman
All time posting legend

Post by wicorman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks, BB. Arrived on overnight flight this morning so feeling a bit jet lagged, but just want to give a general thank you for all the posts while I was away :D
0 x

wicorman
All time posting legend

Post by wicorman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:38 pm

Had another computer problem (user profile could not be loaded) so I've been offline since the end of January. The chap who repairs my computer said I'm the 30th person who has brought this problem to him, he reckons it's caused by a Windows update but can't prove it.
Fortunately it was relatively easy to fix, I just didn't have time to take it in until Thursday and only got it back today.
On the plus side, I've been catching up on reading the stacks of magazines and journals that were piling up, and also started a massive clear out of my attic room, and have a lot to do in the garden when (if!) the weather clears up, so I won't be around this forum much for the time being.
Thanks for all the posts during the past week, see you all again in the autumn :)
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
wicorman
All time posting legend

Post by wicorman » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Busy busy busy at the moment with home and garden, so will only be posting intermittently or when I need a break! Meanwhile, thanks to all posters in this forum, and preemptive thanks for future posts 8-)
0 x

wicorman
All time posting legend

Post by wicorman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:38 pm

I know I keep on saying I'll reduce my capping and posts, and they just keep creeping up again, but this time I'm serious.

I have been advised that my eyes are showing the first signs of cataracts and, although it will not become an issue for quite a while, I find that focusing on the computer screen (and even TV) for too long is already causing eye strain.

Since my work and most of my pastimes rely on good sight, I want to reduce any strain on my eyes, so have decided to reduce my contribution to this board to a minimum. I will also be looking in far less often, but I won't be going away completely yet!
0 x

Bic Basher
All time posting legend

Post by Bic Basher » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:24 pm

That's more than reasonable wicorman.

On a lighter note, was it caused by watching too much Trant, Green, Vardy et al? ;)
0 x
PLEASE SHOW APPRECIATION BY CLICKING THE HEART ICON IF YOU ENJOY THE CAPS I POST

wicorman
All time posting legend

Post by wicorman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:39 pm

:lol: Don't think so - the sight of such ladies has never hurt my eyes 8-)
1 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
happyhatter
All time posting legend

Post by happyhatter » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:22 am

Sorry to hear about your eye issue. Health is the number 1 requirement in life so you should do everything to retain best health. Best of luck and understanding on less caps.

HH
0 x
In appreciation of beautiful women If you like the caps I post please just show appreciation by clicking the heart icon

wicorman
All time posting legend

Post by wicorman » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:18 am

Not likely to be a serious problem for some years, but I'm just finding that computers strain my eyes faster than anything else, so decided to cut back considerably. On the plus side, I'm getting more reading done and listening to more interesting programs on radio
0 x

wicorman
All time posting legend

Post by wicorman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:41 am

My laptop has finally come to the end of its useful life, so I have just replaced it with a new computer. I'll be setting it up and getting used to Windows 8.1 in the next week, so will be offline for a short while.
I'll be back!
0 x

wicorman
All time posting legend

Post by wicorman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:21 pm

Back sooner than I'd expected. After a couple of faux pas, I'm back online and finding Windoze 8.1 less intimidating than it looked at first. My old laptop had become almost terminally slow, its memory was knackered and I think the hard drive was wearing out, too. Probably be a few more days before I start posting caps again, though, as I need to install some basic stuff and reload a heap of stuff I backed up before I disposed of my old machine
Friend of a friend who runs an IT support business built my new PC; it's fast and was very reasonably priced. He's done some repairs for me in the past, very reliable and honest, definitely recommended of you live anywhere near the Portsmouth area.
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
rvw
All time posting legend

Post by rvw » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Good news welcome back wicorman :P
0 x

wicorman
All time posting legend

Post by wicorman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:38 pm

Afraid news is not good. I capped in the old fashioned way by recording to DVD, then capped using Windows Media Player and the Windows snipping tool.
I have just found that Windows 8 no longer has DVD playback software - Microsoft say it's because everyone downloads movies instead of watching DVDs but, in reality, it's because they have to pay royalties for the software!
I am not prepared to pay a lot of money for DVD playback software, and (free) VLC does not give good enough picture quality, so I'm afraid this is the end of my capping for the foreseeable future and also of my presence on this site.
0 x

komzusp
Established Member

Post by komzusp » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:53 pm

I recommend media player classic (it's free) plays dvds, saves images, that snipping tool method sounds a bit laborious
also vlc caps are much better with deinterlace on, just press d (in settings, set interlace to 'yadif 2x') then set a hotkey so the pics are saved with one keypress

edit: i just read more of the thread, taking care of your eyes is obviously the most important thing, good luck
0 x

wicorman
All time posting legend

Post by wicorman » Sun May 17, 2015 11:54 am

Thanks for your tips, komzusp. Been too busy to do any capping anyway lately, and still lots to do in house and garden this summer. Finally got the latest version of VLC and the picture quality from DVD seems a bit better than previously, so I'll probably post a few caps infrequently. Haven't checked out MPC yet, will do so next time I get a few spare minutes!
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
happyhatter
All time posting legend

Post by happyhatter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:47 am

wicorman wrote:Thanks for your tips, komzusp. Been too busy to do any capping anyway lately, and still lots to do in house and garden this summer. Finally got the latest version of VLC and the picture quality from DVD seems a bit better than previously, so I'll probably post a few caps infrequently. Haven't checked out MPC yet, will do so next time I get a few spare minutes!
I have been using VLC for ages and it seems fine to me - but my standards may not be so exacting as yours sir! I will have to check out the updated version though.

I will also check out komzusp's suggestion that "vlc caps are much better with deinterlace on, just press d (in settings, set interlace to 'yadif 2x')".

All the best,

HH
0 x
In appreciation of beautiful women If you like the caps I post please just show appreciation by clicking the heart icon

Bic Basher
All time posting legend

Post by Bic Basher » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:03 pm

happyhatter wrote:
wicorman wrote:Thanks for your tips, komzusp. Been too busy to do any capping anyway lately, and still lots to do in house and garden this summer. Finally got the latest version of VLC and the picture quality from DVD seems a bit better than previously, so I'll probably post a few caps infrequently. Haven't checked out MPC yet, will do so next time I get a few spare minutes!
I have been using VLC for ages and it seems fine to me - but my standards may not be so exacting as yours sir! I will have to check out the updated version though.

I will also check out komzusp's suggestion that "vlc caps are much better with deinterlace on, just press d (in settings, set interlace to 'yadif 2x')".
Deinterlace will remove the fuzzy lines you may see during motion on your caps.
0 x

wicorman
All time posting legend

Post by wicorman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:25 am

I went over to Media Player Classic several weeks ago, very fast and easy to use, and mostly good quality pictures from DVD
0 x