PLEASE DO NOT USE IMAGEUPPER ON THIS SITE ANYMORE, TO MANY BROKEN LINKS AND DELETED IMAGES

Football

Chat about your fave sports here.
1320abbey
All time posting legend

Re: Football

Post by 1320abbey » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:00 pm

I thought Van Persie had to go. He deliberately put his arm into the face of a Barcelona player in the first half and in my opinion knew he was offside when he shot for his second booking. I don't recall the referee having to blow more than once to have any of his other decisions heard. Van Persie is a great player but there is a short fuse between his ears. Arsenal were outplayed by a team who but for Almunia would have scored 5 or 6.
I would love to hear Wenger explain how the ref was responsible for Fabregas trying a fancy backheel just outside his own box and Bentner missing a chance any half decent striker would have buried. Wenger's blaming anyone but his team for defeats would make a primary school team ashamed, he needs to grow up and concentrate on improving his team. A good start would be buying a striker who is capable of scoring 20 - 25 a season, which shouldn't be too difficult giving the quality of their outfield play and the money they have available.
Having said all that I wouldn't bet against them beating Man Utd at the weekend.
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
arfur

Post by arfur » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Van Persie had to go, did he?

What's your name - Sepp Blatter?
0 x

1320abbey
All time posting legend

Post by 1320abbey » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:10 pm

I wish, lots of things i would do if i had his power.
As for last nights game it was my honest opinion. If Messi had been booked in the first half and then did what Van Persie did in the second, Wenger would have argued that the ref was wrong if he hadn't sent him off. As I said previously no one else had a problem hearing the whistle all night.
0 x

Jethro Tull
All time posting legend

Post by Jethro Tull » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:58 am

Booking someone for time wasting ten minutes into the second half is madness,the ref could have warned RVP about any future time wasting and added time on at the end, yet with RVP's first booking, Abidal and A.N. Other both had him by the throat, yet not one yellow card for a Barca player. Strange.

This ref is not new to strange decisions, in the 2006 world cup he sent off a Ukraine defender and award Holland a penalty for a foul that never took place.

No doubt over the two legs Barcelona were the better side, but as with any KO competition you need some good fortune alomg the way and if you don't its good night Vienna.
0 x
Aqualung my friend
don't start away uneasy
you poor old sod, you see, it's only me.

arfur

Post by arfur » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Uefa have been quick to charge Wenger and Nasri. Apparently, the ref was swearing back at Wenger - when's he going to be charged? Expect a big fat silence on that one from Blatter and his crooked cronies.
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
gaztaylor
Site Admin

Post by gaztaylor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Blatter will be silent on it, he runs FIFA and the Champions Lge is UEFA's competition, so its nothing to do with him.
0 x
Please do not post my work anywhere else, its TSCelebs exclusive!

arfur

Post by arfur » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Is UEFA not a subdivision of FIFA?
0 x

gaztaylor
Site Admin

Post by gaztaylor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:53 am

2 totally different organisations. Prior to Platini getting in, there was a bit of rivalry between the 2 governing bodies and many were calling for UEFA to take over the running of world football as they were considered more forward thinking than the old farts at FIFA, then Platini became president and it all went downhill as he is a bigger knob than Blatter.
0 x
Please do not post my work anywhere else, its TSCelebs exclusive!

Jethro Tull
All time posting legend

Post by Jethro Tull » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:54 am

Another cup run comes to a premature end and now we can look towards trying to keep our PL status, all though this may prove a bridge to far with our remaining fixtures.

Spurs(A), Man U(H), Bolton(A), Villa(H),Chelsea & Man City(A), Blackburn(H), Wigan(A) and Sunderland(H)
0 x
Aqualung my friend
don't start away uneasy

Tired of Ads? Login!
Jethro Tull
All time posting legend

Post by Jethro Tull » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:16 am

Well done Mr Capello, of all the keepers you could have picked, you go and select Rob Green.

Just don't play him, as it will be the kiss of death and we need him in form, not totally destroyed of cofindence.
0 x
Aqualung my friend
don't start away uneasy

Jethro Tull
All time posting legend

Post by Jethro Tull » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:04 am

Looks like AG will be spending some time in the stand, in the not too distant future. I thought the officials were poor in the cup game and infringments on all three goals were missed. Too some extent Stoke did get the rub of the green toward the end of the first half and early in the second, but in most away games you do get some home bias from officials.
0 x
Aqualung my friend
don't start away uneasy

Jethro Tull
All time posting legend

Post by Jethro Tull » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:17 am

Off to Upton Park for the visit of Man U. Both sides need the points, so should be an excellent game, with us (WHU) stealing the points.

No point stealing today, finally overrun and another nail in our Premiership coffin
0 x
Aqualung my friend
don't start away uneasy

1320abbey
All time posting legend

Post by 1320abbey » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 pm

Saw the game on tv and thought that over the piece Man Utd were the better team but crucial decisions went against WHU. I thought the ref got it right to only book Vidic in the first half as the ball was going to reach the keeper before the forward would have got there so no goal scoring opportunity. However, the failure to book him again at the beginning of the second half was wrong and who knows what might have happened if he had been sent off. WHU should also have had a penalty before MU took the lead although I would blame the linesman for that one as the ref was behind the player committing the foul.
A lot can happen over the last 6 or 7 games so I wouldn't start nailing down the coffin lid just yet.
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
Jethro Tull
All time posting legend

Post by Jethro Tull » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:00 am

The annoying part of it all is Vidic played the man and not the ball, with a tackle that would not have looked out of place in a rugby game. Unfortunately the rules for this are not clear cut and the FIFA rules committee, need to look at ways of changing the laws, so these incidents can be dealt with.

Huth and Vidic are experts at playing the man when there team is in trouble, as they know the likely outcome is just a yellow card. They are not the only ones though, for if you watch any of the major leagues or International games, it happens on a regular basis.
0 x
Aqualung my friend
don't start away uneasy

tomtuck
World class poster

Post by tomtuck » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:35 pm

As the rules go, the decision not to send Vidic off for the challenge on Demba Ba in the first half was correct. Having said that, he should have got another booking for his challenge on carlton Cole early in the second half with score still at 2-0 and therefore been sent off.
0 x

arfur

Post by arfur » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:37 pm

I just saw a headline on Yahoo! - Fabregas invoved in car crash. I assumed they were talking about our season.
0 x

1320abbey
All time posting legend

Post by 1320abbey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:43 pm

Looking forward to the Real Madrid v Tottenham game tonight. Hope Spurs can take it back to London with a chance to win.
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
jasper
Established Member

Post by jasper » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:55 pm

oh dear.
plz make every effort to enjoy the occasion of the second leg.
my team can only dream of been thrasehd by Real Madrid.
0 x

broxi
World class poster

Post by broxi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Game tonight should be good. Spurs have no chance of turning that around. Some result for Schalke too. Great football and some wonderful goals. Defending Champs already out before the 2nd leg. C'mon the Chelsea! I'm not a Chelsea fan(Rangers) but still cant stand Man U!
0 x

Jethro Tull
All time posting legend

Post by Jethro Tull » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:06 am

Another weekend of quality officiating.

Is it possible we can survive the drop again, due to three teams being poorer than ourselves (WHU)
0 x
Aqualung my friend
don't start away uneasy