PLEASE DO NOT USE IMAGEUPPER ON THIS SITE ANYMORE, TO MANY BROKEN LINKS AND DELETED IMAGES

Recommendations for video capture device?

Chat about all your computing and gaming here.
ian
Posting God

Recommendations for video capture device?

Post by ian » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:35 pm

I've got some old VHS tapes I'd like to turn into DVDs. I see you can get small, cheap devices with A/V connections on one end, and USB on the other, and some bundled software. Anyone able to recommend one? Or any to avoid?

Cheers,

ian.
0 x
I don't cap often, but if I do, please feel free to re-upload wherever you like. A credit would be nice :-)

Tired of Ads? Login!
john
Posting God

Re: Recommendations for video capture device?

Post by john » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:52 pm

I have used one of these to capture videos in link below , there cheap but not always reliable, and got a usb pinnacale TV/capture device which works great.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-DVR-CCTV- ... 5adad50740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dazzle DVC 130 capture device on ebay this would go the job you want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dazzle-DVC-13 ... 4162225298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0 x

ian
Posting God

Post by ian » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanks for that john. I've seen a lot of people selling the ones in your first link (or copies of it) and whilst I usually like cheap things, I can't believe that a £3 device is going to do a good job of capturing video!

The more I read about this, the more confused I get :-)
0 x
I don't cap often, but if I do, please feel free to re-upload wherever you like. A credit would be nice :-)

gaztaylor
Site Admin

Post by gaztaylor » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:25 am

Pinnacle do a range of devices specifically for transferring VHS to DVD, the Dazzle is one, Ive had a PCI card of theirs for 12 years and it is still working fine.
0 x
Please do not post my work anywhere else, its TSCelebs exclusive!

john
Posting God

Post by john » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:58 pm

I use the following internal capture card now for doing stills Compro VideoMate S350 Digital Satellite TV Tuner Card with Remote, you can buy it for a round £25 and as composite in , the software that comes with it isn't brillant but it does the job.

The Compro VideoMate S350 is a satelite card, but i only have a single cable going to the LNB so cannot use the sate part of the card.

Pinnacale make good capture devices i used one for ages a USB version was good until it stopped working.
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
ian
Posting God

Post by ian » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at pinnacle stuff.
0 x

gaztaylor
Site Admin

Post by gaztaylor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:13 pm

That would be the only other thing Id suggest, go for a PCI card, rather than a USB device, they will be much more stable and have a better quality. I use the Pinnacle card for capturing off Sky Sports and I have a Hauppauge WinTV PCI card for Freeview channels.
0 x
Please do not post my work anywhere else, its TSCelebs exclusive!