PLEASE DO NOT USE IMAGEUPPER ON THIS SITE ANYMORE, TO MANY BROKEN LINKS AND DELETED IMAGES

Advice for a 64bit Snapshot Capturing Device

Chat about all your computing and gaming here.
Gerb
Monster Member

Advice for a 64bit Snapshot Capturing Device

Post by Gerb » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:22 pm

My Pinnacle PCTV USB2 device has served me well over the years, but I can no longer use it as it is not compatible with my new 64 bit windows OS.

Looking for recommendations for a new device. I connect via Scart/Composite. I have tried the PCI TV Card in my new PC but the quality isn't up to much; the images are too soft and don't have the sharpness or detail of my previous method (this is not down to any settings.)

Recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Gerb.
0 x
Tune to Planet Rock on your digital dial.

Tired of Ads? Login!
magnet
All time posting legend

Re: Advice for a 64bit Snapshot Capturing Device

Post by magnet » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Have you tried installing the 64-bit vista drivers? Not sure what your new OS is, but you can often use vista drivers with Win7. Failing that, the Startech equivalent USB device is available from Amazon at the moment for £29 and claims to have Win7 x64 drivers.

At the top of the market, the Hauppauge HDPVR USB or Colossus PCIe are the absolute dogs danglies for capture - composite, component & HDMI, but it's expensive at c£150. I would of thought that some of our HD $ky cappers use these - they may favour more, ahem, innovative direct DVB-S2 methods, I'm not sure. If you have an older $ky or Virgin box with proper RGB component outputs, then this is the highest quality capping connection method and capture device combination possible.
0 x
Real life gets complicated at times, so I'm not capping much at the moment.

gaztaylor
Site Admin

Post by gaztaylor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:41 pm

As magnet points out, you wont be able to cap in full HD, it may be better than SD but it wont be the same as what you see on your HD TV.
0 x
Please do not post my work anywhere else, its TSCelebs exclusive!

CJ45007
Monster Member

Post by CJ45007 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:03 pm

I got a aver media capturing device for £24 about 2 years ago & was running windows XP 32bit at the time I got the device because I wanted to record HD video & do my own caps but when I connected my sky HD box to the card via HDMI my aver media software said it couldn't display image because the card isn't HDCP compliment.

I now got Windows 8 64bit please can you advise me on the best capture device for my computer?
0 x

magnet
All time posting legend

Post by magnet » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:28 pm

I'll stick with what I said in my previous post. What works under Win7 should work under Win8.

If your Avermedia device can actually capture HD (and it almost certainly can't at that price) then you could get an HDFury and plug that in between the $ky box and the Avermedia thing. This will strip out the HDCP nonsense. It isn't cheap mind.
0 x
Real life gets complicated at times, so I'm not capping much at the moment.

Tired of Ads? Login!
CJ45007
Monster Member

Post by CJ45007 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:03 pm

Thank you for helping me with my HDCP problem I'll likely go down the HD Fury route but I'll way up my options with my friend tomorrow.
0 x