PLEASE DO NOT USE IMAGEUPPER ON THIS SITE ANYMORE, TO MANY BROKEN LINKS AND DELETED IMAGES

Win 8.1 Freeview dongle needed!

WCC
Posting God

Re: Win 8.1 Freeview dongle needed!

Postby WCC » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:22 pm

I reinstalled all TotalMedia software after failing to get either of the alternatives suggested to display a picture at all, and it seems to be far more stable now!

Unfortunately, the EPG information seems to be in Chinese... :(

I'm contacting both ArcSoft & August to see if there's a known solution. :roll:
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
Bic Basher
All time posting legend

Postby Bic Basher » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:00 pm

I've ordered the August T-210 which is due tomorrow after my old USB HD stick died this afternoon.

I plan to use it with Next PVR.
0 x
SOMEIMAGE IS NO LONGER OPERATING. PLEASE DON'T ASK ME TO RE-UPLOAD CAPS AS I DON'T HAVE THEM.

VIDEO LINKS HOSTED ON MEDIAFIRE STILL WORK.

WCC
Posting God

Postby WCC » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:20 pm

Let me know how you get on, I still can't get any software to work other than the TotalMedia that came with it!

I can get Media Portal 2 to play, but can't figure out how to record. Or change channels...
0 x

Bic Basher
All time posting legend

Postby Bic Basher » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:47 pm

WCC wrote:Let me know how you get on, I still can't get any software to work other than the TotalMedia that came with it!

I can get Media Portal 2 to play, but can't figure out how to record. Or change channels...

I had to install the driver using the supplied CD-ROM, but otherwise Next PVR had no problem transferring the channels from my old USB stick and as I speak has recorded ITV News London in HD.

Decided to stay well away from the ArcSoft MediaPortal software!
0 x
SOMEIMAGE IS NO LONGER OPERATING. PLEASE DON'T ASK ME TO RE-UPLOAD CAPS AS I DON'T HAVE THEM.

WCC
Posting God

Postby WCC » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 pm

I tried Next PVR again, it runs, it even, after a fair bit of work, runs both video AND audio. But if I try to run it full screen it runs at a couple of frames per second and breaks up constantly, and if I try to change channel it freezes. If I stop & restart it, it's on the new channel. Well, it is if I choose a channel it'll display at all - it won't display Al Jazeera at all, for instance.

MediaPortal isn't ArcSoft, it's open source, I think. ArcSoft produced TotalMedia.
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
Bic Basher
All time posting legend

Postby Bic Basher » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:48 pm

WCC wrote:I tried Next PVR again, it runs, it even, after a fair bit of work, runs both video AND audio. But if I try to run it full screen it runs at a couple of frames per second and breaks up constantly, and if I try to change channel it freezes. If I stop & restart it, it's on the new channel. Well, it is if I choose a channel it'll display at all - it won't display Al Jazeera at all, for instance.

Have you tried just recording the channel and not viewing it? Next PVR can have a hissy fit when viewing the HD channels, but plays back fine playing the video back using MPC or VLC.

The AJE thing could be down to a weak signal in your area. COM7 and COM8 where the likes of Al Jazeera, BBC News HD, BBC Four and QVC Beauty HD/+1 HD are weaker than the other Freeview muxes. Others have mentioned a signal booster may be required in weak signal areas with this stick.

The other thing to try is when tuning in the channels using Next PVR, instead of using the details for your local transmitter, change it to 'United Kingdom - All Frequencies' This will then pull in all of the frequencies used, including those used for the COM7/8 multiplexes. If I use 'London - Crystal Palace', then all the channels don't show.
0 x

digitalgain

Postby digitalgain » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:04 am

USB dongles are shit, there's a reason they cost £20. If you are serious about capping get a proper card in a desktop PC or buy a decent PVR/HVR
If you want some decent software buy a copy of DVB Viewer, 20 euros for a lifetime license and it shits all over those crap free DVB programs.
It's the one piece of software I have actually paid for.
Over 16,000 recordings via my dual DVB-T2 card since 2011 and not one failure ever! And via DVB Viewer you can full mux record (all channels in the mux, ie BBC1 HD, BBC2 HD, ITV HD, C4 HD) all in a single transport stream, when you edit you just select the PID to get the channel.
0 x

gaztaylor
Site Admin

Postby gaztaylor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:35 am

I gotta say I agree, I had a Hauppauge WinTV dongle and then replaced it with the pci-e card version and it is far more reliable and the quality is better. There is an HD card available, I forget the brand, and it is available as a quad channel version for around £150, when you see what is on the card itself, it is obvious you are going to lose a lot when you shove it all into a tiny dongle.
0 x
Please do not post my work anywhere else, its TSCelebs exclusive!

WCC
Posting God

Postby WCC » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:01 am

Why would I want to pay more than £20 just to collect frame caps from TV?
1 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
gaztaylor
Site Admin

Postby gaztaylor » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:54 am

Each to their own.
0 x

digitalgain

Postby digitalgain » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:45 pm

WCC wrote:Why would I want to pay more than £20 just to collect frame caps from TV?

I was simply offering some advice, you have spent this whole thread complaining you cannot get your device or any software to work.
If you are not bothered about producing quality caps and £20 is more than you want to spend then why not simply cap from iPlayer, 4OD, ITV PLayer, Demand5 ?

@Gaz.
That's the TBS Quad DVB-T2 card
http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6985- ... -card.html
0 x

WCC
Posting God

Postby WCC » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:11 pm

There are plenty of free pieces of software out there, and certainly options way cheaper than those suggested at £150! I do not have that amount of disposable income for such a trivial purpose. The software I have actually caps perfectly well, it's just the EPG that's an issue, as it's full of Chinese characters...

Anyway, a PC card isn't an option as I only have a laptop, and I haven't been bothered to try and get the software to run since I last posted in this thread, so not a big issue for me.
0 x

digitalgain

Postby digitalgain » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:10 pm

Yes, there are loads of free software options out there, but there is a reason they are free, it does not take a genius to work that out.
Bloatware, spyware and sub-standard software that is crap.
I understand you do not want to spend £150, but if you want to produce caps and are only willing to spend £20 then why are you surprised your results are poor?
If you bought a secondhand car for £100 and it caused you problems then you would have no recourse.
The same applies to a capture device, if you are only willing to spend £20 then do not expect high quality, high-reliability from that device.
Of course there is no need to spend £150, but expecting to be able to capture from a £20 device is laughable, these devices are cheap, poor-quality and the fact you have encountered so many problems is indicative of the fact it costs more to pay coders to adapt the drivers to win 7, win8, win 10 than it does to manufacture the actual device.

I was simply trying to offer you some advice, if that comes across as pretentious then so be it, if you want to cap, and produce caps of a good quality do not expect to simply buy a £15 USB device and use a some crap freeware DVB software and produce quality results. That was my point.
People like Gaz and and many of the producers on this forum have been capping for years, they know that the hardware is the most important part followed by the software.
I'm sorry if I come across as pretentious, but capping is not as easy as buying a £15 USB device, installing DVB Dream and producing high quality caps.

It takes care, attention, skill and time, any t**t can cap but to produce good quality caps requires an investment, some time and a lot of dedication!
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
Bic Basher
All time posting legend

Postby Bic Basher » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:14 pm

As one of the 'dongle' cappers, who uses free software that comes with no bloatware or spyware and is updated regularly with great results, I'll disagree that you need to spend £150, but digitalgain makes some excellent points about software.

I tested numerous software before I started recording, then when I did start capping, I then discovered A) which provides the best results for me and B) is worth learning.

In fact, while I use MPC for capping, I have two different versions of MPC-64, one for capping in SD and the current version for HD.

I've never used the supplied software with the dongles as that is where the price point comes in, as long as the tuner is DVB-T2 compatible, then find decent PVR software that works with it.
0 x

gaztaylor
Site Admin

Postby gaztaylor » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:36 pm

digitalgain wrote:
WCC wrote:Why would I want to pay more than £20 just to collect frame caps from TV?

I was simply offering some advice, you have spent this whole thread complaining you cannot get your device or any software to work.
If you are not bothered about producing quality caps and £20 is more than you want to spend then why not simply cap from iPlayer, 4OD, ITV PLayer, Demand5 ?

@Gaz.
That's the TBS Quad DVB-T2 card
http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6985- ... -card.html

That's the one, was looking at getting the dual tuner version, I don't think there is a need for 4.
0 x

Return to “Help Topics”