PLEASE DO NOT USE IMAGEUPPER ON THIS SITE ANYMORE, TO MANY BROKEN LINKS AND DELETED IMAGES

New Ad at the bottom (please everyone read this!)

All important info on the forum will be posted here, such as maintenance schedule, downtime issues and problem reports.
surfer
Site Admin

New Ad at the bottom (please everyone read this!)

Post by surfer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:48 pm

Okay guys... since some of you complained about the new ad and since it is my responsablility, i felt the need to say something about this. Please read it in total, since this concerns everyone!

As all should have noticed now: We moved the forum to a new server which is not only a freakin lot faster but also a freakin lot more expensive than the old one ( times 10 the old price if you wanna know it exactly).

So to keep the forum alive we need to run some ads, i hope that everyone understands it this far. The company that I deal with regarding ads has just started a new kind of ad. The Twig ad. And since they are up to now very happy with us, they gave me a call and asked me wether i would like to try it out with them. So after about a month of technical problems, we were finaly able to get it up and running. (this is the part where i go : "yeaaaah" and you go: "boooo" :P)

So this is a test and i'll see how well it pays off. If it doesnt pay enough, i will take it down again. If it pays enough, I might take down the 2 static banners which really dont pay that well at all..
And it's not like i wanna do this for myself only (I won't lie to you and tell you that I dont profit off of it at all, but this is a hobby to me and certainly no serious income). The more revenue we make here, the more i can invest in the forum again (like i already did with moving to the new server). Whatever this means. For example Gaz and i once discussed getting a professional banner for the forum. Another thing could be the complete layout of the forum (skin some aswell call it). Maybe we can get someone professional to do a custom one for us which suites almost everyone.
And there are many other possibilities.
Another project of mine currently is getting some advertising for our forum on other sites/forums so we get more users. This also is very expensive but also very important.

Some words about the Ad and how to handle it:

Some people complain about some popup. I wanna make something clear: this is NO popup! a popup loads with every visit of some site in the back-/foreground and is VERY anoying. This ad instead is some kind of interactive banner which scrolls with you scrolling down the page. It will only expand over your whole page as soon as you keep your mouse over it for more than 3 seconds. You can see the time counting down as soon as you put your mouse above it. As long as you keep your mouse away from it or at least no longer than 3 seconds, it will do NOTHING.
Moreover you see a "x" on the lefthand side. As soon as you click this, the ad is gone for one hour or until you reopen your browser window. (a word about that aswell later on, please read on!)

Some of you are also using a plugin which keeps the ads from showing in the first place. This should also work for those that are really THAT anoyed about the ad.

Some words about that plugin that keeps the ads from showing:

Ofcourse its your very right to use this plugin if you want to, for whatever reasons. BUT : You have to keep in mind that this forum is living off of those ads! and those ads showing! So I want you to keep this in mind when using the plugin. And i want to plea you not to use the plugin on our forum.
I'm not going to force the ads on you (although i could easily block any access with the plugin installed) because, like i said, it's of course your right to block them.
I just wanna say that you might wanna reconsider using it and maybe instead simply ignoring the ads showing with something if the back of your mind: YOU are keeping this forum alive!
Same for using the "x" on the new ad: If you can stand the view of the ad, please dont close it.

I hope i didnt hurt anyones feelings, if i did, please accept my apologies. That was not my intention, I simply wanted to tell you my /our point of view and explain the new ad.

Regards
René (aka surfer)
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
surfer
Site Admin

Re: New Ad at the bottom (please everyone read this!)

Post by surfer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:57 pm

ah and for those that wanna complain about too many ads... take a look at our competitor forum here: http://celebutopia.net/forum
0 x

gaztaylor
Site Admin

Post by gaztaylor » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:12 am

Its really not that bad, it stays at the foot of the browser window and can be closed easy enough.

But Id also say to members that for the benefit of the forum, and yourselves, that you dont actually block the ads completely, it will then get hits and pay for the server etc, which is a real improvement on the hosting package we had a month or so ago, and unlike other forums, such as Celeb Utopia, we dont beg for donations.

At the end of the day its only one ad and not really a big deal.
0 x
Please do not post my work anywhere else, its TSCelebs exclusive!

wicorman
All time posting legend

Post by wicorman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation, gaz. As you say, it's only one click to close it and it helps pay TsCelebs' bills!
0 x
Please do not repost my caps without crediting them

The-sentinel
Site Admin

Post by The-sentinel » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Doesn't bother me at all.Actually i never noticed it to begin with but as said if you don't your mouse pointer over it then it doesn't get in the way.If you really don't like it then just spend a third of a second to click on the little X to close it. :)
0 x
http://www.capitalcaptures.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Website & forum

Tired of Ads? Login!
surfer
Site Admin

Post by surfer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:07 pm

The next thing to do is finaly get a thanks button up and running. I think this would be in everyones favor :)
I'll get my ass to it asap
0 x

gaztaylor
Site Admin

Post by gaztaylor » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:13 pm

Thats the holy grail, a working thanks button for the latest version that doesnt wreck the forum when you install it.
0 x

The-sentinel
Site Admin

Post by The-sentinel » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:30 pm

I think for most forum members,not just on this but on every forum,a thanks button is one of the best inventions ever.
0 x
http://www.capitalcaptures.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Website & forum

surfer
Site Admin

Post by surfer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Yes, i already heard a lot of people often mentioning the wish for a thanks button.
I already had a try at it few months ago but failed. Like Gaz said, it's hard to find a working one for this version of phpBB.
But i will try my best!
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
gaztaylor
Site Admin

Post by gaztaylor » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Its all to do with the way V3 of Phpbb is written, something in the code that makes it tricky to get a thanks button to work, there is a post in one of the thanks button threads by someone involved in the development of Phpbb that states its actually impossible to get one to work, something it needs to work is not possible in v3.
0 x

surfer
Site Admin

Post by surfer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:53 am

gaztaylor wrote:Its all to do with the way V3 of Phpbb is written, something in the code that makes it tricky to get a thanks button to work, there is a post in one of the thanks button threads by someone involved in the development of Phpbb that states its actually impossible to get one to work, something it needs to work is not possible in v3.
nothing is impossible ;)
0 x

gaztaylor
Site Admin

Post by gaztaylor » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:57 am

Tell that to the guy who created the thanks button cos he's given up!
0 x

Andy
All time posting legend

Post by Andy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:57 pm

The-sentinel wrote:Doesn't bother me at all.Actually i never noticed it to begin with but as said if you don't your mouse pointer over it then it doesn't get in the way.If you really don't like it then just spend a third of a second to click on the little X to close it. :)
I understand the reason it's there but i would wager the people who don't notice it are on lightning connection speeds.It's making the forum very clunky and slow for me personally because i can only get a 0.25Mb connection speed.The flash video in the banner takes an age to load and you can't close the banner until it actually appears.
0 x

Tired of Ads? Login!
JonDonnis

Post by JonDonnis » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:01 am

If you dont mind me asking which company are serving your ads?
It looks like "Unruly" to me, but not seen the bottom of the page type ad before.
0 x

surfer
Site Admin

Post by surfer » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:17 am

JonDonnis wrote:If you dont mind me asking which company are serving your ads?
It looks like "Unruly" to me, but not seen the bottom of the page type ad before.
Yeah it is a new kind of ad unit they just came up with and chose the forum aswell as some other selected sites to try it out. Thats why you haven`t seen it yet.
0 x