PLEASE DO NOT USE IMAGEUPPER ON THIS SITE ANYMORE, TO MANY BROKEN LINKS AND DELETED IMAGES

Recommended Hosting

Only these hosts can be used on the forum.
Art Van De Lay
Monster Member

Recommended Hosting

Post by Art Van De Lay » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi Guys,

Lately I have discovered a good alternative to rapdishare.com - it's oron.com. They have no ads, so you shouldn't get into trouble with any host, and if you're registered (which is free) you can get upto 400k/sec download rate.

Thought I'd let you know.
0 x
"So, when now when the phone rings you've got to answer "Vandelay Industries"

#NousSommesCharlie

Tired of Ads? Login!
dreamlander
Posting God

Re: Recommended Hosting

Post by dreamlander » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:06 pm

I am registered and it allows about 3-4 downloads a month,unless you pay,at least it does for me.If you are registered it gives you a waiting time which is fair enough if you aren't giving the company any money,I understand that,I don't mind waiting,but if you refresh every few minutes the time to wait is completely random and never comes anywhere near completion.It has turned a few forums,technically,into paysites.I paid for the 30 day subscription and wasn't aware it was recurring until the email from Paypal,which I promptly cancelled.I pay for RS,well I will when my points run out,to protect my uploads,I hardly download anything so I cannot afford to pay another host,especially if not many files I want are on it.

Dreamlander
0 x

Art Van De Lay
Monster Member

Post by Art Van De Lay » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Can you still get points with RS?

You can get 400MB in 45mins when you're a registered user, you don't need to pay.
0 x

#NousSommesCharlie

dreamlander
Posting God

Post by dreamlander » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:35 pm

No,I'm just using up my old points but it does work out cheaper than before to buy the points to keep your files safe.I think that was RS's way of appeasing the guys like me who paid once and downloads paid for the rest.They obviously realised that they weren't making enough money from their members.It's not ideal but I suppose RS is the biggest and most recognised.I don't have anything against Oron,it's just like I said,even when registered,free downloads dry up after about 3-4 downloads for me before the fake 'waiting' screen and the 'used 10000mb' page(never downloaded more than 500mb) and the request to become a premium member.That could be just as prohibitive for the uploader considering the time these things take to do,with hardly any downloads to show for it,as it is frustrating for the downloader not being able to get the file they want.
I just upload so people can download for free with patience or more usually because they are premium RS members.I've given up trying to make any money or get free premium membership with any uploader.It's only a few quid and just a hobby.If it was one forum,one host,it would be a whole lot easier and cheaper for most of us but I realise that choice is a must for most people.

Dreamlander
0 x

Art Van De Lay
Monster Member

Post by Art Van De Lay » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:53 pm

The problem with RS is now they make everyone wait 5 minutes for a file, whereas if you download small things like video clips, you can get on average around 10 before you have to wait a long time for Oron to let you back on. That's the reason why I recommended it.

I think it's not really possible to make money with these suppliers, and I think it's just like a pyramid scheme.
0 x

#NousSommesCharlie

Tired of Ads? Login!
dreamlander
Posting God

Post by dreamlander » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:01 am

Yeah,with the advent of HD,I guess these hosts had some serious investment to make in mass storage devices that somebody had to pay for! :) It's been 9 days since I was allowed to download something from Oron.Waiting until they let me back in for a few downloads,don't mind waiting as it's only a couple files I need.You're right,it's probably much more user friendly for the size of files used on this forum.Like I said,I don't download much but don't hesitate when I see RS because I get the premium speeds.I've found Megaupload very good for non members to download too and if I ever moved,I'd probably go there,although with 1016 files taking up 58gb at RS I think I might hang around a while! :D

Dreamlander
0 x

Art Van De Lay
Monster Member

Post by Art Van De Lay » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:38 pm

Are you on a dynamic IP? I am as well and I've never had to wait more than 20mins
0 x

#NousSommesCharlie

dreamlander
Posting God

Post by dreamlander » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:10 pm

Art Van De Lay wrote:Are you on a dynamic IP? I am as well and I've never had to wait more than 20mins
Not really clued up on computer tech so I don't know what you mean lol! I know I'm with Sky on their unlimited package and I use Firefox 4,if that's any help. I just tried to download again and still get the waiting time that goes up and down randomly every time you refresh it,unlike other hosts where the clock counts down so you know when the download button will appear.This is the only host where waiting doesn't seem to make any difference.If I could just buy a month without the recurring subscription I'd be a happy bunny.

Dreamlander

Edit-I just clicked on one of your Susanna video links and had to wait 6m49s,which is static,so I refreshed and it changed to 9m59s.Should I not refresh and hope that the page will refresh itself after the allotted time?

2nd edit-Waited the 9m59s and nothing refreshed so I did it myself and I now have to wait 32m15s lol!

Off topic-I consider Seinfeld to be the greatest sitcom of all time and being somewhat of a pedant your spelling of 'Vandelay' in your sig. line has always bothered me.Could you remove this metaphorical Mill Stone from around my neck and correct it please? :)
0 x

Pleasureseeker
Established Member

Post by Pleasureseeker » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:34 pm

TBH, Oron is pretty useless to download from unless you pay them money. I'm on Virgin Media and I've never managed to download anything from them :(

The site doesn't work too well if you're not using Internet Explorer either which is a big turn-off for me as well :( I tried visiting using IETab in Firefox 5 (out now folks :mrgreen:) and it crashed the plugin...
0 x
We have the Technology.
We are not afraid to use it...

Tired of Ads? Login!
Art Van De Lay
Monster Member

Post by Art Van De Lay » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Works fine in FF and Chrome Pleasureseeker.

DL: Looks like you might have a dynamic IP, are you running noscript with Firefox?

Big fan of Seinfeld - was rather annoyed I didn't catch him at the O2 the other week!
0 x

#NousSommesCharlie

dreamlander
Posting God

Post by dreamlander » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 pm

Art Van De Lay wrote:Works fine in FF and Chrome Pleasureseeker.

DL: Looks like you might have a dynamic IP, are you running noscript with Firefox?

Big fan of Seinfeld - was rather annoyed I didn't catch him at the O2 the other week!
Again,not sure what that means lol! If that would help I'll do it,if you give me the most basic of tutorials! :)

Considered going to see Seinfeld too,I'm guessing tickets were pretty hard to come by.I like my heroes to remain locked in a DVD-sized 'time capsule' though! :) Just read that they've re-commisioned 'Arrested Development' after a 6 year gap and with the original cast.So the only sitcom that can be mentioned in the same breath as Seinfeld is back to save the faltering genre! :)

Dreamlander
0 x

Pleasureseeker
Established Member

Post by Pleasureseeker » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:47 pm

Art Van De Lay wrote:Works fine in FF and Chrome Pleasureseeker.
I didn't say Oron doesn't work in FF, old bean. It does, but it gives me a random time to wait each time I visit :( However, the site is very definitely optimised for those visitors who use IE as I noticed the alleged waiting times were far less if the user agent reported back as IE8 or IE9...

Nothing happens if I leave the page up until the time runs out which leads me to conclude that it is very likely to be an IP related problem which I'm not gonna worry about as there's not a lot I can do about that ;)

I wouldn't know about Chrome working as it meets the definition of spyware so I don't use it or any of Mr. Go Ogle's products :mrgreen:
0 x
We have the Technology.

Art Van De Lay
Monster Member

Post by Art Van De Lay » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:14 pm

Have you tried jDownloader?
0 x

#NousSommesCharlie

Tired of Ads? Login!
Pleasureseeker
Established Member

Post by Pleasureseeker » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:39 pm

Art Van De Lay wrote:Have you tried jDownloader?
Sorry about the delayed reply - toddled off to bid Atlantis "Farewell" ;)

I use jDownloader all the time and have no problems with any host except with Oron...
0 x
We have the Technology.

Art Van De Lay
Monster Member

Post by Art Van De Lay » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:12 pm

They've pretty much wiped my folders...
0 x

#NousSommesCharlie

gaztaylor
Site Admin

Post by gaztaylor » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:48 pm

I use ifile.it, its set up for non paying downloaders, meaning you dont need to buy an account to get decent upload/download speeds and stuff is kept longer than they say as I have stuff that hasnt been downloaded for over a year thats still active on there. A good little host with no captcha rubbish
0 x
Please do not post my work anywhere else, its TSCelebs exclusive!

Art Van De Lay
Monster Member

Post by Art Van De Lay » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:51 pm

Mediafire is still a good one too.
Oron has got too big for it's boots by the looks of it.
0 x

#NousSommesCharlie

Tired of Ads? Login!
magnet
All time posting legend

Post by magnet » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:15 pm

The way Oron has conducted 'business' on other forums is absolutely disgusting. I steer well clear. Megaupload or Mediafire seem to be the best for free members.
0 x
Real life gets complicated at times, so I'm not capping much at the moment.

Art Van De Lay
Monster Member

Post by Art Van De Lay » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Yes I would agree with you magnet
0 x

#NousSommesCharlie